Today I woke up feeling deflated- as though all the air has been squished out of me. I am tired although there is no reason to be and just feel generally sad even though there is no particular reason why. At times like this, I find it helpful to remind myself that all really is well. I am lovable, I am loved and everything is going to be okay. I find it helpful also, to remember that this is just a mood that I am in and that this mood does not define me. Over the years I have tried many strategies that I find helpful on days like this. Here are 30 that I find most helpful!
What to do when you are feeling blue: my top tips!
- Give yourself permission to feel sad. It’s okay.
- Give yourself a mental hug and talk to yourself as you would talk to a friend who has admitted that they are feeling blue. Avoid negative self-talk.
- Think about reaching out to a friend and talking through how you are feeling.
- Listen to your favourite music or a playlist- the Happier Podcast list on Spotify is a good place to start or you could make your own playlist of soothing songs.
- Watch a ‘feel good film’ – preferably one that does not require much concentration. I especially love Christmas movies and watch them all year round when I need a boost! My favourites are White Christmas and Elf.
- Have a nice cup of tea- either savour on your own or with a friend
- Have a nice cup of coffee – either on your own or with a friend
- Do some simple stretching exercises – slowly bend down and try to touch your toes or practice your downward dog pose.
- Slowly blow out bubbles with a bubble wand.
- Have a big glass of water with ice and lemon and sip it slowly.
- Put on some nice smelling lip-balm or a face mask. Oats that are mixed with water makes a one that costs very little to make.
- Try to accomplish a small task – clear your desk, fold some laundry or stack the dishwasher for example.
- Go to the library and flick through magazines that you would never usually choose to read or sign up for the readily app and have a choice of thousands of magazines from around the world.
- Have a nice hot shower and put on some clean pyjamas or your favourite comfy clothes.
- Feed the birds in your garden or at the park
- Try and give three people a genuine compliment
- Look at pictures of things you love on Pinterest – I have a board labelled ‘things I love’ that includes pictures of my favourite animals, quotes and other random things that just appeal to me visually.
- Go for a walk – get out and breathe in the fresh air.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Watch an inspiring video or TED Talk
- Eat a big fruit salad
- Write about how you are feeling in a journal
- Call a friend for a chat
- Bake a cake to share
- Do some colouring or doodling
- Bake a loaf of bread from scratch
- Re-read your favourite book – I always go back to Little Women and the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I need a boost.
- Go for a swim or a paddle.
- Kick your shoes off and walk on the sand if you are lucky enough to live near the ocean. If you have a patch of grass, walk on that barefoot.
- Buy yourself a bunch of flowers or pick some from your garden.
Do you have any tips of your own to share? I would love to hear about things that you have tried that work for you.
Lots of love x